Spiced party nuts
Spiced party nuts are a great to give as gifts during the festive season in cute bags, or lay them out when entertaining – they’re great with casual drinks.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg mixed shelled raw nuts – peanuts almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, shelled pistachios, pecans and macadamias
- flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170degC fanbake.
- Mix the spices and salt together.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add spice mix and cook for a minute or so until bubbling (as you do when cooking a curry).
- Put nuts into large roasting dish, pour over spice mix and stir to coat evenly.
- Roast for 10 minutes, stir, then roast and stir every 5 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and leave to cool. Toss with flaked salt to taste then store in an airtight container until ready to package. We used cellophane and added a cinnamon quill or a couple of star anise for decoration.
- Store the nuts in a dark pantry or cupboard and they will last for ages.
You can use any nuts or a combination of nuts and/or seeds for this recipe. Peanuts and cashews are great for bulking out your nut mix, so you can include some more gourmet nuts like macadamias, pistachios and almonds. Store your spiced party nuts in a dark pantry or cupboard and they will last ages. Leave out or reduce the amount of cayenne and chilli if you want less heat, though I think it adds a nice warmth.