On-the-go miso bowl
If a quick, healthy and warming work lunch is what you’re after, look no further then this on-the-go miso bowl
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup bok choy shredded
- ½ cup red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup shrimps or small prawns frozen
- 2 sachets instant miso paste 40g total (check label if eating gluten free)
- ¾ sheet nori sheet as used to wrap sushi, torn
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- The night before or in morning, prepare veges and pack in a container. (Shredded snow peas, finely sliced blanched asparagus and baby spinach also work well; the shrimps could be swapped for cooked shredded chicken, cubed tofu or canned crab meat.) Remove shrimps from the freezer at last minute and transport in a cooler bag or similar to keep cold. When you get to work, refrigerate shrimps immediately.
- At lunch, toss broccoli, bok choy and cabbage in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes, drain and top up with cold water. Leave for 2 minutes, drain and place in a roomy serving bowl. Place shrimp in a separate bowl, cover with boiling water, drain and scatter on top of veges. Squeeze miso on top, add nori and spring onion then pour over 1⅓ cups boiling water. Stir to mix in.
You can easily blanch the vegetables for this miso bowl at work with just boiling water from the jug. Within a few minutes you’ll have a tasty warm lunch perfect to get you through the afternoon! Play around with the vegetables and meat you use – leftover cooked shredded chicken or any red meat sliced into small pieces would also work. If you want it to be more filling, add in some cooked rice or noodles. Miso isn’t always gluten-free, so be sure to check the packet if it’s something you avoid.