I love having brown rice porridge in the mornings during winter – it’s so warming a nourishing.
Short-grain brown rice porridge makes a great gluten-free alternative to oat porridge. It has a delicious nutty, slightly sweet flavour. This recipe makes 5 servings so make up a pot and keep in the fridge and you’ll have breakfast covered for the next few mornings – just add a splash of milk to loosen the porridge when you re-heat it. It can made dairy free by using soy, almond or rice milk. I like to serve this with stewed or canned fruit such as plums or peaches, prunes and a sprinkling of chopped almonds.
Creamy brown rice porridge
- short-grained brown rice* 3 cups cooked
- milk (cow's, almond, rice or soy) 3 cups
- honey 8 teaspoons
- ground cinnamon ¾ teaspoon
- vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- stewed or canned fruit
- prunes 10
- almonds 5 tablespoons, chopped
- milk (optional)
- Combine cooked brown rice, milk, honey, cinnamon and vanilla in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is soft and creamy.
- Serve warm with stewed or canned fruit, prunes, almonds and a splash of milk if desired.
- *To cook brown rice, combine 1 cup short-grain brown rice and 1 ¾ cups water in a small pot. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a lid and reduce to lowest heat. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, then turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time.