Lemon, Golden Syrup and Coconut Loaf
This lemon, golden syrup and coconut loaf is epic as an afternoon tea treat! It’s moist and rich, while the flavour is light and zingy!
- 2 cups plain flour use double almond flour or gluten-free flour if needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder gluten-free if needed
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup thread or desiccated coconut
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 grated lemons
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup neutral oil e.g. grapeseed or canola
- coconut thread toasted
- *optional lemon cream cheese icing see recipe below
- Preheat oven to 180 degC/355 Fahrenheit (or 170 degC/340 Fahrenheit fanbake). Grease and line two loaf tins with baking paper.
- Place all cake ingredients into a large food processor and blitz until well combined. If you don’t have a food processor, sieve flour and baking powder together and combine with ground almonds, coconut and salt. Beat remaining cake ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tins, dividing equally, and bake until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and loaf springs back when lightly touched, about 35-40 minutes. Leave in tin to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- If you are icing the loaves, wait until they have completely cooled before icing them and sprinkle over coconut thread.
*Lemon cream cheese icing: beat 150g softened cream cheese with the finely grated zest of 1 lemon, 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice and ¼ cup icing sugar until smooth. This recipe makes two loafs – bake both and pop one in the freezer for later! You can make this lemon loaf gluten-free by using more ground almonds in place of the flour or use gluten-free flour. It can also be baked as a whole cake rather than two loaves (bake for about 1 hour), or as smaller muffins in a muffin pan (bake for about 25 minutes). The cream cheese icing is optional, but yummy of course!