Sesame and Pistachio Chicken Schnitzel with Turkish Salad
This is a great way of jazzing up chicken schnitzel in a healthy delicious way! Try it with the sumac – it gives a lemony flavour to the chicken that tastes amazing.
Sesame and pistachio chicken schnitzel
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 teaspoons sumac optional
- ½ cup pistachios finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1 telegraph cucumber diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 firm ripe avocado sliced
- ½ cup mint leaves sliced
- 100 g feta crumbled
- 1 ½ lemons juiced
- 1 cup hummus
- Preheat oven to 180°C/355 Fahrenheit.
- Mix sesame seeds, sumac (if using), pistachio nuts and salt together. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make thin schnitzel pieces (to do this, lay a chicken breast on a chopping board and place one hand flat on top to hold it steady while you cut through with the knife in your other hand). Coat liberally in pistachio mix.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan (preferably non-stick) on medium heat. Cook schnitzels in batches, for 2 – 3 minutes on each side until golden brown, then transfer to an oven dish and finish off cooking in oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine all salad ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place chicken schnitzels and salad on plates and serve with a good dollop of hummus on the side.
Coating chicken schnitzel in a mix of spices and finely chopped pistachios makes for a super tasty coating that is also gluten-free! The salad is simple but works perfectly with the chicken and hummus for a well balanced tasty dinner the whole family will love. If you can’t find sumac, you can always substitute with the finely grated zest of 1 lemon. You could add some warm Turkish bread on the side or homemade sweet potato fries if you want more carbohydrates.