Sticky Honey, Orange and Sesame Chicken Drumsticks
These sweet, sticky and zesty chicken drumsticks are bound to be a hit with the kids!
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange zested
- 3 oranges juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce gluten-free if required
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger finely grated
- 12 free-range chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- ½ cup coriander/cilantro roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 degC/390 Fahrenheit. Line an oven tray or dish with baking paper (for easy clean up).
- Combine honey, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger in a medium-size pot or fry pan. Boil until syrupy and reduced by half, this will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large fry pan on medium to high heat. Season chicken drumsticks with salt. Lightly brown chicken drumsticks all over, about 3 minutes.
- Place chicken drumsticks in prepared tray or dish, pour over honey and orange glaze and toss to coat. Bake for 40 minutes, basting every 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and glaze is reduced and sticky. Remove from oven and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- To serve, pile chicken drumsticks up on a plate and garnish with coriander (cilantro).
Enjoy them as an easy mid-week dinner with a side of rice and Asian greens like bok choy or choy sum. But have some napkins ready, as the kids are bound to make a bit of a sticky mess! Drumsticks are also a great dish to make for kids birthday parties – much tastier and healthier than the standard sausage rolls and cheerios! This recipe would also work great with chicken wings or chicken nibbles – all delicious family favourites. Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make these gluten-free.