Speedy Swedish salmon bagel
This yummy salmon bagel is perfect for a work lunch – take the ingredients to work in wee containers and assemble when it’s time to eat.
- 1 bagel or 2 slices of bread
- 1 heaped tablespoon cream cheese
- hot-smoked salmon
- capers a few
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- fresh dill or chives chopped
- ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- ½ avocado small
- rocket or spinach leaves
- 1 radish finely sliced
(You’ll need a toaster at work for this recipe.)
- The night before or in the morning, pack everything into a couple of containers, wrapping items in baking paper where necessary to keep separate. Refrigerate until needed.
- At work, slice bagel and toast until golden (or toast bread). Smear one half with cream cheese and top with flaked salmon, capers, onion and some chopped herbs. Squeeze over some lemon juice and season. Mash avocado onto other bagel half and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Top with rocket or spinach. Eat with sliced radish.
I love to order a salmon bagel at a cafe for lunch, but it gets expensive if you do it all the time! By making it yourself at work, you’ll save money and get to choose exactly what you want on your bagel. Use toast if you don’t have bagels or don’t like them. Smoking salmon at home yourself isn’t as hard as you might think, and takes no time at all. By doing it at home you avoid all the additives and sodium that can be in supermarket versions. Check out my recipe here.