Vegan Pizza with Tomato Cashew Cream and Avocado Herb Sauce
Holy moly, this vegan pizza impressed. My normally dedicated-carnivore recipe testers LOVED this pizza and it’s completely vegan.
I did a week eating only vegan food a while ago and found it quite a lot of fun! It helped me expand my repertoire and come up with new recipes like this vegan pizza. A creamy, salty tomato cashew cream replaces cheese, and it’s dolloped with a delicious avocado sauce. I’m confident that you and your family will wolf down this pizza with gusto, whether you’re vegan or not.
- For gluten-free, use gluten-free vegetable stock and Lebanese flat breads (or regular gluten-free pizza bases).
Tomato cashew cream
- sun-dried tomatoes ½ cup chopped
- cashew nuts ¾ cup softened* (see notes below on how to soften cashew nuts)
- tomato paste 1 tablespoon
- extra-virgin olive oil 3 tablespoons
- vegetable stock ½ cup (gluten-free if required)
- salt ½ teaspoon
- lemon juice of ½
- avocado 1 just-ripe
- flat-leaf parsley or coriander ¼ cup chopped
- mint leaves ¼ cup chopped
- lemon juice of 1
- extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil 2-3 tablespoons
- Lebanese flat breads 4 large (gluten-free if required)
- button mushrooms 150g, sliced
- courgettes 2 medium, peeled into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler (reserve a handful for garnish)
- roasted red capsicum 2 large (from a jar or the deli), sliced
- cherry tomatoes ½ punnet, cut in half
- marinated artichokes 1/3 cup sliced marinated artichokes (from a jar, can or the deli)
- kalamata olives 16
- basil leaves to garnish
Preheat oven to 220degC.
- To make the tomato cashew cream, place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. It will take at least a couple of minutes for the cashew nuts to break down completely. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To make the avocado sauce, place all ingredients in the food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place Lebanese flat breads on 2 large baking or flat oven trays. Spread each base with about 2-3 tablespoons of tomato cashew cream. Then top with mushrooms, courgette ribbons, roast capsicum, cherry tomatoes, artichokes and olives. Dollop over remaining tomato cashew cream. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil and bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are crispy.
- To finish, top each pizza with remaining fresh courgette ribbons, dollop over avocado sauce and garnish with basil leaves.
- *To soften cashew nuts, either soak them in cold water overnight, or you can boil them in water for 10 minutes. Drain well before using.