These sweet, sticky and zesty chicken drumsticks are bound to be a hit with the kids!
Enjoy them as an easy mid-week dinner with a side of rice and Asian greens like bok choy or choy sum. But have some napkins ready, as the kids are bound to make a bit of a sticky mess! Drumsticks are also a great dish to make for kids birthday parties – much tastier and healthier than the standard sausage rolls and cheerios! This recipe would also work great with chicken wings or chicken nibbles – all delicious family favourites.
Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make these gluten-free.
- honey 3-4 tablespoons
- orange zest of 1
- oranges juice of 3
- soy sauce 2-3 tablespoons (gluten-free if required)
- sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- garlic 2 cloves, minced
- ginger 2 teaspoons finely grated
- free-range chicken drumsticks 12
- sesame seeds 2 tablespoons, toasted
- coriander (cilantro) ½ cup roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 200 degC/390 Fahrenheit. Line an oven tray or dish with baking paper (for easy clean up).
- Combine honey, orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger in a medium-size pot or fry pan. Boil until syrupy and reduced by half, this will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large fry pan on medium to high heat. Season chicken drumsticks with salt. Lightly brown chicken drumsticks all over, about 3 minutes.
- Place chicken drumsticks in prepared tray or dish, pour over honey and orange glaze and toss to coat. Bake for 40 minutes, basting every 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and glaze is reduced and sticky. Remove from oven and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
To serve, pile chicken drumsticks up on a plate and garnish with coriander (cilantro).