These pretty pink pickled onions are so handy to have on hand. They go great with cheese and crackers, on meat or in salads.
These pink pickled onions will keep for up to three weeks in the fridge.
This recipe comes from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine.
- white vinegar 2 cups
- water 1 cup
- sugar ¾ cup
- caraway seeds 1 tablespoon
- red onions 4, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- Pour the vinegar into a medium saucepan and add the water. Add the sugar and stir in seeds, and simmer until sugar dissolves.
- Place the onion in a large bowl. Pour warm pickling liquid over onions and let stand overnight to allow the colour to come out.
- Transfer onions and liquid to jars, cover with lids and refrigerate. Onions will keep for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve as a bright, colourful garnish on cheese and crackers.