I love this crisp Winter salad – persimmon is one of my favourite fruits – especially in savoury dishes such as this.
The sweetness of the persimmon and pear perfectly compliment the bold and spicy flavours of the fennel and rocket. The toasted almonds add that little bit of crunch. The orangey dressing is a lovely accompaniment. It really makes the most of the delicious navel oranges that come into season in New Zealand in June. Pair it with pan-fried white fish, chicken or salmon. If you’ve got an abundance of persimmons, or (like me) just really love them then be sure to try this delicious dessert – honey baked persimmons with vanilla and cinnamon.
- orange zest 2 teaspoons
- orange juice ¼ cup freshly squeezed
- apple cider vinegar 1 ½ tablespoons
- shallot 1 small, finely diced
- salt good pinch of
- extra-virgin olive oil 3-4 tablespoons
- firm ripe persimmon 1, finely sliced
- firm ripe pear ½, finely sliced
- fennel bulb 1 medium, fronds reserved, thinly sliced
- grapes (red, green or black) 1 cup, halved
- slivered almonds ½ cup, toasted
- baby rocket leaves (arugula) 2 handfuls
- parmesan cheese ¾ cup shaved (omit for dairy-free)
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine orange zest, juice, cider vinegar and shallot in a bowl, and let it sit for 15 minutes – this mellows the intensity of the shallot. Whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Combine persimmon, pear, fennel, grapes, almonds and rocket and parmesan in a bowl and toss lightly with half of the dressing, just before serving.
- Serve salad on a platter and grind over plenty of black pepper. Garnish with extra parmesan if desired, and drizzle over a little more dressing.
- Delicious served with chicken or fish.