Eye Fillet with Mediterranean Salad and Herby New Potatoes
I love this kind of meal during Summer – light, fresh and super tasty! Eye fillet is such a tender, juicy treat – I love it medium rare.
New season baby potatoes, tossed with fresh herbs, lovely beef eye fillet either cooked in the pan or on the barbeque till medium rare (or more or less depending on your preference!), a fresh peppery rocket and cherry tomato salad, and a dressing with sharp saltiness from the olives, capers and lemon. It’s a good one to feed a crowd and dine al fresco too! Marinating the capers, red onion, tomatoes and olives is the key to this salad, giving it an extra special hit of Mediterranean flavour!
- capers 1 tablespoon, rinsed
- cherry tomatoes ½ punnet, halved
- kalamata olives ¼ cup
- red onion 1/4 small, very finely sliced
- red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon
- extra-virgin olive oil 1 teaspoon
- basil leaves ¼ cup
- rocket leaves 1 handful
- lemon zest of 1
- baby potatoes 400g, scrubbed and cut to an even size
- fresh mixed herbs (e.g. parsley, chives, dill, thyme leaves) 1/3 cup roughly chopped
- lemon zest of 1
- beef eye fillet 350g (in one whole piece, at room temperature)
Heat oven to 200degC/390 Fahrenheit and line an oven tray with baking paper. Heat a grill pan or BBQ over medium-high heat.
- Combine the capers, tomatoes, red onion and olives with the red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Set aside to marinate.
- Toss potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil in prepared tray, and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for about 25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes. Toss with herbs and lemon zest.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the beef fillet. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season well with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan on high heat. Brown beef fillet all over (roughly 1-2 minutes each side), then place in the oven with the potatoes for another 10 minutes until cooked medium-rare. Remove beef from the oven, cover with tinfoil and leave to rest somewhere warm for at least 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss the rocket, basil and lemon zest together with the capers, tomatoes, onion and olives. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.To serve, slice the beef into 1cm-thick slices and divide between two plates. Top with the salad and pour over any extra dressing. Serve with the warm potatoes on the side.