Spiced lamb rump with pesto-smashed potatoes and cos salad
This winning lamb rump recipe comes from the My Food Bag’s new Express Bag – the perfect dinner option for busy families!
All meals in the Express Bag are designed to be on the table in under 30 minutes – watch the video below to see if it’s true! You can buy a mint pesto for this recipe, or make this yummy dairy-free cashew, mint and coriander pesto of mine. If you don’t have any sumac for the lamb rump spice mix just swap it out for lemon zest. If you don’t have time to get your meat to room temperature, you could pop it (in the packaging) into a sink/bowl full of warm water for a few minutes to bring the temperature up.
- potatoes 600g, scrubbed
- mint and cashew pesto ¼ cup (store bought or see recipe below method)
- mayonnaise 2 tablespoons
Lamb and cos salad
- lamb rump steaks 600g, at room temperature
- lamb spice mix* 2 teaspoons (see recipe below method)
- baby spinach leaves ½ bag, finely sliced
- cos lettuce ½, finely sliced
- tomatoes 2, diced 1cm
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons
- balsamic vinegar 2 teaspoons
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ grill (if using)
- Dice potatoes into 2cm cubes. Add to pot of boiling water and cook for about 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain, return to the pot with pesto and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Roughly mash using a fork. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- While the potatoes cook, pat lamb dry and coat with spice mix. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on medium to high heat. Cook lamb for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare (depending on thickness) or until cooked to your liking. Cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the lamb rests, prepare the salad. Combine spinach, cos and tomatoes in a large bowl with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper. Thinly slice lamb against the grain.
To serve, divide pesto smashed potatoes between plates. Top with lamb and serve salad on the side
- Lamb spice mix: ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon sumac, ¼ teaspoon mustard powder, ¼ teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- To make your own pesto, place 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews, 1½ cups coriander, ¾ cup mint, 2 garlic cloves and the juice of 2 lemons in a food processor and blitz until just combined. Drizzle in ¼ – ½ cup extra virgin olive oil with the motor running until pesto reaches desired consistency. Season to taste.