Chocolate Creme Fraiche Boysenberry Tart
This decadent tart requires only a few ingredients and is a breeze to make – it’s a cheats way of making a chocolate mousse tart without the effort.
Great for a dinner party or to put on the Christmas table, this dessert is visually stunning! Scatter over some fresh boysenberries, grated chocolate and boysenberry sauce and you’ve got one irresistible dessert. You could prepare this in the morning or even the day before you plan to serve – too easy! As long as you’ve blind baked the pastry, it shouldn’t go soggy in the fridge if you leave it for a day before eating.
- sweet short crust pastry 1 sheet, defrosted
- egg 1, beaten, for brushing
Chocolate crème fraiche filling
- good quality dark chocolate 350g (at least 70% cocoa)
- crème fraiche or sour cream 250g, at room temperature
- boysenberries 1 x 400g can, drained (syrup reserved)
- crème fraiche or natural greek yoghurt
- fresh berries
- grated chocolate
Preheat oven to 170 degC/340 Fahrenheit.
- Roll out pastry by a few centimetres on each side to fit a 20-25cm tart tin with a removable base. Line tart tin with the pastry, then line with baking paper on top. Fill with baking beans/uncooked rice/dried beans and bake until the pastry is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper and brush cooked pastry with a little beaten egg. Return to the oven until the base is crisp and cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Remove and set aside to cool in the tin.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or glass bowl set above a pot of simmering water. Once the chocolate has melted, fold one third of the crème fraiche into the chocolate. Repeat with the remaining crème fraiche. Remove bowl from the heat and fold in the drained boysenberries.
- Spoon the chocolate crème fraiche mixture into the prepared tart case and set in the fridge until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Boil the reserved boysenberry syrup in a small pot for 2 minutes until syrupy and reduced by about half.
- Carefully remove chocolate crème fraiche tart from the tart tin and garnish with fresh berries, grated chocolate and boysenberry syrup.
Cut into pieces and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche, ice cream or yoghurt on the side.