These delicious gluten-free cookies are easily made vegan and take no time to make. You might be surprised that the secret ingredient is a tin of chickpeas! They’re a recipe out of my Fresh Start cookbook.
Chickpeas make a great gluten-free (and more nutritious) alternative to wheat flour in baking, as they provide the same substance and floury texture. I’ve used them in these chocolate nut-butter cookies to boost their nutrition.
This cookie recipe is perfect if you’re watching your weight. You can keep them in the freezer so that you’re less tempted to munch on them. Simply microwave one for 10 seconds and it will be nice and warm.
These cookies are naturally gluten-free and can be made dairy-free/vegan by using coconut oil instead of butter and dairy-free chocolate such as Green & Blacks Dark or Lindt 85% or 90%.
If you like this recipe, you’ll also like my Healthier Chocolate and Berry Brownie – it too contains a secret ingredient!
- chickpeas 1 x 400g can, drained, rinsed
- nut butter (e.g. almond, cashew or peanut) ½ cup
- vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- brown sugar ½ cup
- baking powder 1 teaspoon
- ground almonds 2 tablespoons
- butter or coconut oil 1 tablespoon, melted (use coconut oil for dairy-free/vegan )
- good-quality dark eating chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids) 70g (about ½ cup), finely chopped (check label for dairy-free/vegan)