This Chocolate Avocado Mousse looks and tastes so much like standard chocolate mousse, that if you didn’t know any better you’d never guess this dessert contained avocado!
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse dessert is rich and creamy, yet much healthier than your standard chocolate mousse. Avocados give it a thick creamy texture, and also make this dessert dairy-free and much lower in saturated fat. You could garnish it with anything – fruit, grated chocolate, nuts or shredded coconut for example.
*To make it dairy-free, make sure the dark chocolate you are using is dairy-free (many above 70% cocoa are) and use dairy-free milk e.g. almond or coconut
Chocolate avocado mousse
- ripe avocados flesh of 2, chopped
- good quality dark eating chocolate (60-75% cocoa) 200g, broken into pieces - check dairy-free if you need to
- milk (e.g. cow's, almond, coconut milk) 1/3 - ½ cup
- liquid honey or pure maple syrup 1-2 tablespoons (optional)
- fresh berries or any other fruit
- grated chocolate (optional)
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in a glass bowl set above a pot of simmering water (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl or else it will risk the chocolate burning or becoming grainy).
- Place avocado and melted chocolate in a food processor and blend together until smooth, whilst pouring in the milk. Keep blending until the mousse is very smooth and creamy. Taste, and if you would like it a little sweeter, you can add a bit of honey or maple syrup, however I think it’s sweet enough as is! Spoon into serving glasses and chill in fridge briefly for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with fresh berries and extra chocolate if desired.