Avocado, Pumpkin and Haloumi Quinoa Salad
This tasty wee quinoa salad is perfect for a casual dinner, or as a dish to take to a potluck BBQ!
Here’s my avocado, pumpkin and haloumi quinoa salad that will delight your taste buds! It’s a delicious vegetarian dish that everyone will love.
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- balsamic vinegar 2 tablespoons
- runny honey 1 tablespoon
- pumpkin 500g peeled, cut into 2cm chunks
- quinoa 1 cup
- chicken or vegetable stock 1 ½ cups
- firm ripe avocado flesh of 2, sliced
- cherry tomatoes 1 punnet, halved
- seedless grapes 1 cup, halved
- medjool dates 6-8, stone removed, chopped
- baby spinach or rocket (arugula) 1 handful
- flat-leaf parsley ¾ cup chopped
- haloumi cheese 200g, sliced 0.5cm thick
- red wine vinegar 3 tablespoons
- wholegrain mustard 1 tablespoon
- lemon juice of 1
- liquid honey 1 tablespoon
- extra-virgin olive oil 3 tablespoons
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss pumpkin with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey in prepared tray. Roast until slightly caramelised, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. Combine quinoa and stock/water (with a pinch of salt) in a medium-size pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up quinoa grains with a fork and toss with roast pumpkin and remaining quinoa salad ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook haloumi slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, and melted on the inside. Mix all dressing ingredients together and toss with quinoa salad.
- To serve, divide quinoa salad between bowls and top with slices of cooked haloumi and grilled chicken breast if using.