Smoked Salmon Bagel, Crushed Avocado, Tomatoes, Spinach and Scrambled Egg
This is my favourite type of brunch – hearty and filling, but still healthy and full of nutritious ingredients.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 shallot finely chopped (or 1/2 small red onion)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
Tomatoes and spinach
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 cup spinach chopped
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 bagels split in half
- 12 slices cold smoked salmon I used Regal
- 1 teaspoon dill chopped, optional
- Place avocado, shallot/red onion, lemon juice and chives in a bowl and roughly crush with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and milk with a fork in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan on medium to high heat. Wash cherry tomatoes and spinach and shake off excess water (leaving a few droplets of water will help create steam to cook them more evenly). Add to hot fry pan – be careful as it may spit a bit. Cook for a few minutes until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are slightly blistered. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large fry pan over medium heat. Pour in eggs and stir, using a wooden spoon, until just cooked (I like mine still a little runny) – this will take about 3 minutes. Sprinkle over dill if using. Toast bagels.
- To serve, spread some avocado on each toasted bagel half, top with slices of smoked salmon and a little chopped dill. Serve with some scrambled eggs, tomatoes and spinach on the side.
It’s great for special occasion brunches like Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, and for feeding a crowd considering the minimal effort that goes into it! It’s guaranteed to get you off to a GREAT start to the day!