A warm, soothing hot toddy is a favourite nightcap – with or without alcohol it’s such a treat!
This hot toddy recipe is great with thyme, or you could even use cinnamon or cloves for a spiced flavour. It’s a take on hot apple cider that is popular in the USA over Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Use a high quality apple juice for this recipe – preferably one that’s 100% apple juice or close to it.
- apple juice 500 ml
- lemon ½, juice and peel (no pith)
- sprigs thyme 4-5 sprigs (or 1 cinnamon stick or ½ tsp whole cloves)
- mint leaves 5-6
- brandy, rum or whisky 1 shot (optional)
- Combine apple juice and lemon with your choice of thyme, cinnamon or whole cloves and mint in a small pan.
- Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Strain into glasses or mugs and stir in a shot of brandy, rum or whisky into each glass if you wish.