CHUNKY VEGETABLE & BARLEY SOUP WITH GARLIC SOURDOUGH CROÛTONS
To make Dairy-free omit parmesan | To make Vegan omit parmesan | To make Gluten-free omit barley (and use cannellini beans or GF pasta)
Is there any dish more humble and nourishing than a vegetable soup? With ten different vegetables and loads of fresh herbs stirred in at the end, this soup is packed to the brim with goodness. Make sure you use some fresh oregano and marjoram if you have it. The addition of barley makes it substantial enough for a main course; you could also use orzo pasta or cannellini beans. Then all that’s needed is a drizzle of good-quality extra-virgin olive oil and some crunchy, garlicky croûtons. It keeps well in the fridge over a few days and freezes well for those nights you need instant warming up.
- olive oil 3 tablespoons
- onion 1 large, chopped
- leek (white part) 1, finely sliced
- celery 2 stalks, sliced (reserve a handful of celery leaves)
- carrots 2, peeled and diced 2cm
- garlic 3–4 cloves, chopped
- thyme and/or rosemary 2 tablespoons chopped
- pumpkin 400g peeled, diced 2cm
- barley ½ cup, rinsed and drained
- crushed tomatoes 400g can
- chipotle sauce 1 tablespoon
- vegetable stock 1 litre
- courgettes 2, sliced 1cm-thick
- green beans 150g, chopped
- spinach or silverbeet leaves handful of chopped (optional)
- lemon juice 1–2 tablespoons
- mixed herbs (e.g. parsley, coriander, oregano, marjoram) ½ –1 cup chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
GARLIC SOURDOUGH CROÛTONS
- sourdough bread 4 slices, cut or torn into 2cm pieces
- olive oil 2 tablespoons
- garlic 4 cloves, finely chopped
- thyme leaves 2 teaspoons chopped
- finely grated parmesan ¼ cup
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Cook onion and leek for 6–8 minutes until soft.
2. Add celery, carrot, garlic, thyme/rosemary and pumpkin and continue to cook for a further 4–5 minutes.
3. Add barley, tomatoes, chipotle sauce and vegetable stock, simmer for about 15 minutes until pumpkin and barley are tender.
4. While soup is cooking, toss sourdough with olive oil, garlic, thyme and parmesan on a tray lined with baking paper and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
5. Add courgettes, green beans and spinach/silverbeet (if using) to soup and continue simmering for 3–4 minutes until tender. Stir through lemon juice and herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and top with croûtons.