Raw Superfood Salad with Salmon Sashimi
This great raw salad makes the perfect lunch to take to work – it’s so healthy and so tasty!
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1 large beetroot peeled and shredded
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage finely shredded
- 1 shallot finely diced
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup mint leaves torn
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 handfuls alfalfa sprouts
- pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds small handful
- 300-400 g salmon fillet skin off, pin-boned and sliced (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Toss carrots, beetroot, spring onion, cabbage, shallot, tomatoes and herbs together in a large bowl.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and pour over the vegetables.
- Divide salad between bowls and top with alfafa sprouts, seeds and slices of salmon if using.
This salad is packed full of the goodness of raw vegetables, high in antioxidants and fibre. If you don’t have a vegetable shredder, either grate the carrot, beetroot and cabbage, or use a vegetable peeler to peel thin ribbons. The cabbage can be shredded by cutting very finely with a sharp knife. Toss the salad with cooked vermicelli noodles to make it into a more substantial meal. You could make a big batch of this and leave it in the fridge to take a portion to work each day – just wait to add dressing right before you eat it. Make sure you get really fresh salmon for the sashimi – it’ll taste much nicer! You could also use cold smoked salmon you buy from the supermarket.