Pumpkin, Pea and Haloumi Fritters
These haloumi fritters are a great way to get some vegetables into the kids (and adults!). They’re a great casual vegetarian meal that the whole family will love
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 free-range eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups butternut or pumpkin grated
- 1 cup peas
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 200 g haloumi cheese grated
- 2-3 tablespoons canola oil
Herb and carrot salad
- 1 cos lettuce chopped
- 1 carrot shredded or grated
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- tomato chutney
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, curry powder, eggs and salt together until smooth. Add milk and whisk to combine. Mix in grated butternut/pumpkin, peas, onion and haloumi.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick fry pan on medium heat. Cook ¼ cups of mixture at a time for about 2 minutes each side until golden brown. You will need to cook the fritters in 2-3 batches. Drain fritters on paper towels.
- Toss all salad ingredients together.
- To serve, divide fritters between plates and serve with salad and a dollop of chutney on the side.
The grated haloumi makes them really tasty, along with the touch of curry powder for heat and flavour. Use a mild curry powder if that’s your preference. A simple salad with herbs is the perfect accompaniment to these haloumi fritters, with a dollop of tomato chutney on the side.