Instant Apple, Banana and Strawberry Bircher Muesli
Come Spring and Summer time, I LOVE having bircher muesli for breakfast.
- 1 ripe banana the riper, the sweeter it will be
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup fine rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit e.g. cranberries dates, sultanas, raisins, figs, chopped (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt pinch of
- 1½ cups almond milk you can also use cow's, soy, rice or oat milk
- 2-3 teaspoons pure maple syrup apple syrup or liquid honey, to taste (optional – you might find that the banana is sweet enough)
- ½ punnet strawberries quartered (you can use any other fruit you like)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Peel banana, place in a large bowl and mash with a fork. Coarsely grate apple (leave the skin on) and add to the mashed banana.
- Add oats, dried fruit (if using), cinnamon, salt and milk and mix all together until well combined. Taste and mix in a little maple syrup or honey if desired, however you may find it sweet enough with just the banana.
- Divide between serving bowls and top with strawberries, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds, and you’ve got the perfect quick, healthy, delicious breakfast!
Bircher muesli is a soaked muesli which is usually left overnight to soften, however you can make an instant version (like this one) if you use fine rolled oats. Oats have a low glycaemic index and are full of soluble fibre. Yoghurt and juice is often used as the liquid, but I like to use milk (especially almond milk) for a rich, creamy and decadent flavour. The mashed banana works as an excellent natural sweetener, and when it comes to the toppings, you can use whatever you like! Watch my video below on how to create this recipe. For more nutritious breakfast recipes click here and to receive more of my videos direct to your inbox, head here to subscribe.