Gluten-free gingerbread decorations
Gingerbread decorations are such fun! And so delicious too, especially this gluten-free and refined sugar-free version, perfect for kids and adults alike.
- 175 g butter softened 175 grams
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup or pure maple syrup
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1⅓ cups buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric beater until thick, pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg until fully incorporated, and then the ginger and syrup.
- Sift in the flours, spices, a good pinch of salt and baking soda and mix until just combined. Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up (don’t skip this step!).
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to 5mm thick and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Use a drinking straw to make little holes for the ribbon.
- Place shapes on trays and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Ice biscuits (see below). When icing has set, thread with a ribbon and hang.
- Whisk 1 egg white until soft peaks form then mix in about 2 cups icing sugar until you have a thick, drizzly icing.
- Spoon into a small, resealable bag and snip a tiny hole in the corner. Pipe pretty designs onto biscuits.
Decorating gingerbread is a great activity to do with kids, get creative! There are so many shapes you can make with the dough, you could even do letters or numbers. They also make great gifts – pop them in small cellophane bags and tie with some pretty twine. I’ve used a combination of brown rice flour and buckwheat flour to get the perfect texture and taste. Instead of regular sugar, I’ve used coconut sugar and rice malt syrup (or maple syrup), for a more complex-tasting sweetness.