Chocolate hot cross bun & butter pudding
I love a warm hot cross bun out of the oven spread with a generous amount of butter! What I love even more though, is hot cross bun and butter pudding!
- 4-6 hot cross buns depending on how big your baking dish is
- 50 g butter softened
- ¼ cup marmalade or other jam like apricot or plum ¼ cup
- 100 g good-quality chocolate milk or dark 100g, chopped
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons cream
- custard ice cream or whipped cream
- maple-roasted pears see recipe in method optional
- Preheat oven to 180degC. Grease a medium-sized baking dish with butter (I used a 27 x 18cm rectangular baking dish)
- Cut each bun horizontally into 1cm-thick slices (about 3 slices per bun). Spread each piece with butter and marmalade. Arrange in baking dish, overlapping, until the baking dish is full.
- Scatter chopped chocolate over hot cross buns. Whisk eggs, first measure of cream, milk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar together and pour over hot cross buns and chocolate. Push the buns down gently to soak in the custard.
- Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the top and drizzle with last measure of cream. Bake for about 25 minutes until the top has formed a crust and the custard is just set. Allow pudding to stand for at about 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with custard, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream plus roasted fruit if desired. Or….you can keep it in the fridge for pudding for breakfast the next day! It’s such a treat warmed up for breakfast with custard or cream!
- To make maple-roasted pears, quarter 4 just-ripe pears length-ways (don’t bother peeling, coring or removing stem). Place in a medium baking dish, sprinkle with a good pinch of cinnamon and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup. Pour ¼ cup water into the baking dish. Roast for about 40 minutes at 180degC, basting the pears a few times throughout.
Great for a quick, easy dessert or the next day for an Easter weekend breakfast treat! Hot cross buns spread with just the right amount of marmalade, soaked and baked in creamy custard with melted chopped dark chocolate served with maple-roasted pears for extra indulgence! Slightly stale buns actually work best for this take on bread and butter pudding. If you want to make your own custard, there’s a recipe here. This recipe is from the April/May issue of NADIA magazine, which features tonnes of yummy Easter recipes!