This delicious brunch bruschetta has all the best a.m. ingredients piled on to one piece of crispy toast – perfect! Rubbing the toast with a garlic clove for this brunch bruschetta is the key to getting the perfect amount of garlic flavour without it being overwhelming.
- 1 loaf ciabatta or sourdough bread**
- olive oil for brushing and frying
- 4 free-range eggs
- 4 rashers bacon chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup basil leaves sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, stone removed
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice the bread into eight 2cm-thick slices. Place on a baking tray, brush with olive oil and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil then time for 2½-3 minutes (for soft-boiled), before draining.
- Fry bacon in a hot pan with a drizzle of oil until crisp, then drain on paper towels. Mix tomato and basil in a small bowl. Crush avocado with lemon juice in another small bowl. Peel eggs and halve.
- Cut garlic in half and lightly rub cut side over each piece of toasted bread. Top with avocado and half an egg then scatter bacon, tomato and basil on top. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- ** Check label if eating dairy free.
To make this bruschetta vegetarian, use pan-fried cubes of haloumi instead of bacon. For gluten-free, swap out the ciabatta for your favourite gluten-free bread. I’m a big fan of bruschetta – check out these recipes for classic tomato basil bruschetta and avocado, tomato, olive and basil bruschetta if you are too. They’re less ‘brunchy’ than this one, but great for serving when entertaining. Photography by: Todd Eyre.