Venison, Blue Cheese and Roast Red Pepper Burgers
Everyone loves a burger! They’re dead easy to make, and if they’re made with good quality, healthy, fresh ingredients (like these ones!) they’re not unhealthy like the greasy takeaway ones which you want to avoid!
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 500-600 g venison mince or beef mince
- 1/2 red onion grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- 4-5 burger buns cut in half
- 3-4 tablespoons fruit chutney or relish
- 70 g soft creamy blue cheese
- 2 large roasted red pepper from a jar or deli
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 4 small handfuls rocket leaves
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- Mix breadcrumbs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining patty ingredients and mix together well using your clean hands. Shape into 4-5 large, roughly 2cm-thick patties. Set aside on a plate and place in the fridge for 5 minutes or so to firm up a little, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan or BBQ hot plate on medium high heat. Cook venison patties for about 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Set aside on a plate and loosely cover with tinfoil, leave to rest for a few minutes. Grill each side of the buns for about 30 seconds.
- To serve, mix Dijon mustard and mayonnaise together. Spread Dijon mayo and fruit chutney/relish on bottom bun halves. Place a venison patty on each, crumble over some blue cheese, top with roast red pepper, a few slices of tomato, some rocket and red onion. Top with top burger buns and serve with extra rocket on the side.
I’ve used venison mince in this recipe, but feel free to use beef mince if you like. I love the combination of fruit chutney, blue cheese and venison or beef, but if you’re not into blue cheese feel free to add a sprinkle or slice of whatever cheese takes your fancy. Enjoy!