Tropical Fruit and Almond Cake
This moist, fruity almond cake is gluten-free and refined-sugar free, sweetened with honey and fruit.
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 5 free-range eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- ½ cup dates chopped
- ½ cup dried mango chopped
- 432 g crushed pineapple one can, drained
- 250 g ground almonds
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 50 g coconut oil or butter melted
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
- Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt to serve optional
- Preheat oven to 165 degC/330 Fahrenheit. Lightly grease and line a round (about 22cm diameter) spring-form cake tin with baking paper on the bottom and sides.
- Mash bananas with egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in dates, mango, pineapple, ground almonds, coconut, honey and coconut oil/butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the almond batter using a large metal spoon, trying to keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and top with the flaked almonds. Bake for 1 hour or until golden and cooked through. To test if the cake is done, insert a wooden skewer into the middle of the cake and it should come out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and leave in tin for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or yoghurt on the side.
This almond cake has the option of being dairy-free and makes a nice dessert cake served with a dollop of yoghurt, coconut yoghurt of creme fraiche on the side.