Spiced Cauliflower Fritters with Coriander and Carrot Yoghurt
Cauliflower fritters are a great wee snack – especially with this cooling carrot yoghurt. They remind me of bhaji you get in Indian restaurants.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ head cauliflower finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- spice mix 1 teaspoon curry powder, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cheese grated
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lemon cut into wedges, to serve
Coriander and carrot yoghurt
- ½ cup natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1 small carrot peeled and grated
- ½ cup coriander/cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a large fry pan on medium heat. Fry cauliflower, garlic, onion and spice mix until cauliflower and onion are soft (5-6 minutes).
- Whisk flour, salt, eggs, milk, cheese and parsley together. Add cauliflower mixture and mix together.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan (preferably non-stick) and cook tablespoonfuls of batter for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Mix yoghurt, carrot and coriander together.Serve 3 fritters per person with a good dollop of coriander and carrot yoghurt and a lemon wedge to squeeze over just before eating.
These cauliflower fritters would also make a great weekend breakfast served with some bacon and poached eggs. You can make the batter in advance and leave in the fridge if you want. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is full of fibre and phytochemicals (natural plant chemicals), specifically isothiocyanates, that are thought to reduce the risk of certain cancers in several ways including protecting cells from DNA damage and inactivating carcinogens (cancer-causing substances). For another epic way to eat cauliflower, try this cauliflower cheese fettucine with bacon, peas and bacon crumbs.