Avocado, Pumpkin and Haloumi Quinoa Salad
This tasty wee quinoa salad is perfect for a casual dinner, or as a dish to take to a potluck BBQ!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 500 g peeled pumpkin cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 firm ripe avocados sliced
- 1 cherry tomatoe punnet halved
- 1 cup seedless grapes halved
- 6-8 medjool dates stone removed, chopped
- 1 handful baby spinach or rocket arugula
- ¾ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 200 g haloumi cheese sliced 0.5cm thick
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss pumpkin with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey in prepared tray. Roast until slightly caramelised, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. Combine quinoa and stock/water (with a pinch of salt) in a medium-size pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up quinoa grains with a fork and toss with roast pumpkin and remaining quinoa salad ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook haloumi slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, and melted on the inside. Mix all dressing ingredients together and toss with quinoa salad.
- To serve, divide quinoa salad between bowls and top with slices of cooked haloumi and grilled chicken breast if using.
Here’s my avocado, pumpkin and haloumi quinoa salad that will delight your taste buds! It’s a delicious vegetarian dish that everyone will love.