Ricotta pancakes with cinnamon pears
These are the fluffiest, moistest most delicious ricotta pancakes you’ll ever make! Perfect for a lazy weekend brunch (the kids can even have a go at making them for you!).
- 1 cup self-raising flour use gluten-free if required
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 250 g ricotta
- oil cooking spray
- 2 pears cored and cut into 2cm pieces
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- To prepare pancake batter, combine flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk milk, eggs and ricotta together in a jug. Gradually whisk the milk mixture into the flour until all ingredients are combined.
- Heat a large fry-pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat. Spray the pan with oil cooking spray. Add ¼ cup of batter and cook for 3-4 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with tinfoil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- While pancakes are cooking, combine pears, water and sugar in a small pot over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Stir through cinnamon and ginger and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until pears are tender.
- To serve, divide pancakes between plates, top with pears and drizzle with pear cooking syrup.
Adding ricotta to the batter is the secret for the best pancakes ever. The ricotta will mean the mixture won’t be smooth but that’s ok – it’s best not to over-mix it until it is. The cinnamon pears are a nice healthy topping for the ricotta pancakes but traditional bacon and maple syrup would also work well or a berry compote. If you have the time, leave the batter to sit for 15-30 minutes. It will help the gluten relax and make the pancakes more tender. Just don’t remix the batter when you go to cook the pancakes. Don’t worry about this step if you use gluten-free flour. To make the pancakes gluten-free, use regular gluten-free self-raising flour.