OK it’s not genuine ice-cream as you might think it – but I promise this recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream Date Caramel Sundae is actually healthy…
Who would have thought that the words ‘healthy’ and ‘ice cream’ could go in the same sentence? Well in this case they do, along with ‘freakin’ delicious!’
It still amazes me how you can turn pure fruit into a light, fluffy ice cream (that no one ever second guesses), and I’ve been doing this for years. In my freezer I always have plastic bags filled with frozen chopped banana for making instant ice cream or smoothies. You’ll be amazed at how much this tastes just like a vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce sundae, and even more amazed at how it is refined sugar-free, and can be dairy-free too. If you would prefer not to use the egg white, you can just leave it out.
I’ve put this recipe on my YouTube Channel – see the video below and be sure to subscribe here so you’re the first to know when new videos come out.
What a great way to get fruit into kids (and adults) while they think they’re having a special treat!
Vanilla 'ice cream'
- bananas 5 large ripe, chopped, frozen
- vanilla bean paste 2 teaspoons (or if you're feeling more extravagant, seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod)
- cream or coconut cream (DF) 1/3 cup
- egg white 1
Date caramel sauce
- dried baking dates 1/2 cup (or 1/3 cup Medjool dates)
- water 1 cup
- ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon
- pure maple syrup 2 tablespoons (optional, if you want a sweeter caramel sauce)
- milk (e.g. cow’s or almond) or coconut milk (DF) 1/4 - 1/2 cup
- toasted flaked almonds
- toasted shredded coconut
- Place frozen bananas, vanilla and cream/coconut cream in a food processor and blitz until thick, smooth and creamy, like ice-cream – this will probably take a couple of minutes. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed to make sure everything gets well blended.
- Add egg white and continue blitzing for another 30-60 seconds – the mixture will become even more light and fluffy. Scoop out into a container and freeze until ready to use (it is best to use it within 4-6 hours of being frozen).
- To make the date caramel sauce, place dates and water in a small pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes until dates are soft. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth (alternatively place in a blender to blend). Add cinnamon, maple syrup (if using) and enough milk/coconut milk to blend until the consistency of caramel sauce. Leave in the fridge to cool completely before serving with ice cream.
To serve, scoop 2 scoops of ice cream into a bowl or cone and drizzle over date caramel sauce. Scatter with almonds and coconut. Dig in!