This moist, fruity almond cake is gluten-free and refined-sugar free, sweetened with honey and fruit.
This almond cake has the option of being dairy-free and makes a nice dessert cake served with a dollop of yoghurt, coconut yoghurt of creme fraiche on the side.
- bananas 2 very ripe
- free-range eggs 5, separated
- vanilla essence 2 teaspoons
- dates ½ cup chopped
- dried mango ½ cup chopped
- crushed pineapple 1 x 432g can, drained
- ground almonds 250g
- desiccated coconut ½ cup
- coconut oil or butter 50g, melted
- liquid honey ¼ cup
- flaked almonds ¼ cup
- Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 165 degC/330 Fahrenheit. Lightly grease and line a round (about 22cm diameter) spring-form cake tin with baking paper on the bottom and sides.
- Mash bananas with egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in dates, mango, pineapple, ground almonds, coconut, honey and coconut oil/butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the almond batter using a large metal spoon, trying to keep as much air in the batter as possible.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and top with the flaked almonds. Bake for 1 hour or until golden and cooked through. To test if the cake is done, insert a wooden skewer into the middle of the cake and it should come out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and leave in tin for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or yoghurt on the side.