This amazing salad recipe is inspired by a trip I took a few years ago to Turkey with Intrepid Travel, and the incredible tabouleh I ate there!
It’s a great salad to take to any barbeque. It’s refreshing zesty flavours will be welcomed by any barbequed meats. It is also great served with hummus and flat bread. Soaking the bulghur wheat in lemon juice and olive oil (rather than just water) gets more flavour into the tabouleh salad. The dates and grapes provide a nice sweet touch to the salad, however they are optional.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my smoky eggplant, capsicum and mint mezze – also inspired by my trip to Turkey!
- bulghur wheat 1 cup dried
- lemon finely grated zest of 1
- lemon juice ½ cup, freshly squeezed
- extra-virgin olive oil ¼ cup
- boiling water ½ cup
- salt ¾ teaspoon
- finely chopped parsley 1 ½ - 2 cups
- red onion 1, finely diced
- tomatoes 4, seeds removed, finely diced
- telegraph cucumber ½, seeds removed, finely diced
- seedless grapes 2 cups, halved (optional)
- medjool dates 6-8, stone removed, chopped
- Combine bulghur wheat, lemon zest, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, water and salt in a large bowl and leave to swell until bulghur wheat is tender but still firm to the bite, about 1 hour. Drain off any excess liquid if there is any.
- Toss with all remaining ingredients just before serving and season to taste with a little more salt and lemon juice (if needed), freshly ground black pepper and extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with grilled chicken, lamb or beef, and hummus.