Pesto pasta with mushrooms and bacon
Pesto pasta is one of those things that I crave, especially with crispy bacon and mushrooms, delicious!
This pasta is brilliant for kids. Older kids could even have a go making it themselves. It also freezes very well, making it perfect to have ready to go for a rainy day. I also think it would be a great meal to make someone who needed a bit of comfort food in their lives – creamy pesto pasta always make me feel better.
Make your own pesto for this recipe, or use a good quality bought one.
This recipe is from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- garlic 1 clove, finely chopped
- onion 1, finely diced
- button mushrooms 200 grams, sliced
- streaky bacon 4 rashers, diced
- cream 300 mililetres
- fresh or dried pasta (I used penne) 300-400 grams
- pesto 3-4 tablespoons
- fresh basil to serve
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic, onion, mushrooms and bacon for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until bacon is cooked and mushrooms are tender.
- Add cream and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and stir the pesto through the pasta.
- Gently stir the mushroom and bacon cream through the pesto pasta.
Garnish with cracked pepper and fresh basil leaves and serve.