Pesto chicken pasta
Pesto chicken pasta is a family favourite, and this version is packed full of veggies for extra goodness! The kids will love this recipe – and can probably even help with the cooking!
This pesto chicken pasta recipe comes from Bargain Box – a new addition to the My Food Bag family. Bargain Box is great for larger families (feeding up to six adults) and has a focus on affordability, while still providing heaps of vegetables and high quality meat with family favourite recipes each week.
You can make your own basil pesto for this recipe (see recipe below), or use a store-bought version.
- chicken thighs 650g
- spiral pasta 400g
- vegetable stock 1 cup, hot
- cornflour 2 teaspoons
- leek 1, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
- silverbeet ½ bunch, thinly sliced (stalks and leaves, but kept seperate)
- frozen peas ½ bag
- sour cream ½ cup
- milk ¼ cup
- basil pesto* 1 x 190g jar (or see recipe below)
- salt ¼ teaspoon
Bring a very large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan on high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side, until browned (they do not have to be cooked through). Remove from pan and set aside on a plate, covered.
- While chicken is cooking, cook pasta as per packet instructions. In a small bowl, combine hot stock and cornflour until dissolved.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan used for chicken on medium-high heat. Cook leek and silverbeet stalks for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add 1-2 tablespoons water in the last 30 seconds to help vegetable steam. Roughly chop chicken.
- Stir through stock/cornflour mixture, silverbeet leaves, peas, sour cream, milk, basil pesto, salt and chicken, along with any resting juices. Bring to a simmer and cook on medium for 2-3 minutes until chicken is just cooked through.
- Drain pasta well and return to pot, along with chicken and sauce. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, divide chicken pesto pasta between bowls.
*To make basil pesto place 1½ cups packed basil leaves, ½ cup flat-leaf parsley (leaves and stalks), ½ clove garlic finely chopped, ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional), ¼ cup grated parmesan in a food processor and blitz to combine, while slowly drizzling in 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper. The pesto will keep in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen in a sealed ziplock bag for a few months. Makes 1 cup.