This is one of my go-to meals for a quick, simple and tasty weekend lunch or dinner. Smoked chicken, mango and avocado taste sublime together, with fresh crunchy vegetables and a sweet chilli citrus dressing.
You can either buy smoked chicken or you can smoke your own using my method/recipe here (with no preservatives or additives). Failing that, just use left over roasted chicken – still delicious! Check out the video below to see how I do it – it really is less complicated than you might think, and the flavour is incredible! I much prefer to smoke my own chicken, as the supermarket version is often loaded up with preservatives and additives.
- sweet chilli sauce 2 tablespoons
- lemon or lime juice 3 tablespoons
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons
- mango 1 ripe, sliced
- telegraph cucumber ½, halved lengthways and sliced
- cherry tomatoes 1 punnet, cut in half
- red onion 1/2 small or 1/4 medium, thinly sliced
- avocado 1 firm ripe, sliced
- basil leaves large handful
- mesclun leaves 4 handfuls
- smoked chicken about 400g (or 2 breasts), sliced (see my Hot Smoked Chicken recipe, or use store bought)
- toasted foccacia or garlic bread (optional)
- Whisk sweet chilli, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil together to form dressing. Season to taste with salt (or a bit of soy sauce or tamari sauce) and pepper.
- Toss dressing with mango, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, basil, mesclun and smoked chicken.
Divide salad between plates and serve with toasted foccacia or garlic bread if desired.