There’s no such thing as ‘sort of’ indulging when it comes to loaded wedges. This recipe is packed with all the naughty but necessary goodies a crowd-pleasing dish needs.
In this version, wedges are loaded up with homemade smoked cheese sauce, crispy bacon and drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.
I think this dish was made for entertaining. Think parties, sleepovers, movie nights and when you have heaps of people plonked on the couch to watch the big game. It’s so quick and easy while being super satisfying and hearty.
You only need a few basic ingredients to create something that looks (and tastes) really impressive.
Feel free to omit the bacon if you’re vegetarian. That’s the beauty of this dish, you can so easily experiment with different flavour combos!
This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine.
Photography by: Todd Eyre.
- milk 1 cup
- cornflour 2 teaspoons
- smoked paprika ½ teaspoon
- smoked cheese 1 cup, grated
- plain frozen potato wedges 750 grams - 1 kilogram
- middle bacon 3 rashers, finely sliced
- spring onion 1, finely sliced
- sweet chilli sauce* to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Thicken with the cornflour and simmer for 1 minute, then add smoked paprika and half the grated cheese and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Arrange the wedges in close rows on a baking paper-lined tray and bake for 15 minutes or until just starting to crisp up. Pour over the cheese sauce, sprinkle with bacon and remaining cheese then bake for a further 10 minutes until the bacon and wedges are golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle over spring onion and serve with sweet chilli sauce to drizzle on top.
- Loaded wedges work with any number of different toppings. Mix it up and try some combos of your own.
*Check label if eating gluten free.