If you’ve never tried making your own tomato sauce, you’ve got to give it a go! It tastes so much better, skips the preservatives and high sugar content, and is easy to do.
This tomato sauce is such a useful recipe to have on hand – and because you’re making it at home you avoid all the additives and excessive sugars in some other versions. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days as well, so you can prepare it in advance.
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- red onion 1, finely diced
- garlic clove 1, crushed
- vine tomatoes 4, chopped
- brown sugar 1 tablespoon
- tomato paste 1 tablespoon
- balsamic vinegar 1 tablespoon
- mixed herbs 1 pinch
- water ½ cup
- sea salt and pepper to season
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan before sautéing onion, garlic and tomatoes for 2-3 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and tomato paste then mixed herbs and water.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until thick. Season with sea salt and pepper.