This mouth-watering salad is perfection. Make it in the peak of summer when peaches (or nectarines) are at their sweetest and juiciest. Grilling brings out all those lovely fruity sweet flavours, perfectly complemented by salty bacon and haloumi.
This recipe is from the ‘Super Salads’ section of my new book, Let’s eat!
- red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons
- sugar 1 teaspoon
- red onion ½, thinly sliced
- oil for cooking
- bacon 4 rashers (up to you what cut you use, I used streaky), diced
- peaches (ripe) 3, stones removed, cut into 6–8 wedges each (nectarines would be delish too!)
- haloumi 200g, sliced about 1cm-thick
- mixed salad leaves 4–6 large handfuls
- liquid honey 2 teaspoons
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons
- wholegrain mustard 1 teaspoon
- In a bowl, mix vinegar and sugar together. Add red onion and toss with vinegar mixture. Set aside to marinate for about 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Heat a drizzle of oil on the barbecue hot plate or in a fry pan or grill pan on the stovetop. Cook bacon until crispy; set aside. Cook peaches (in the bacon fat) for a couple of minutes each side until nicely caramelised; set aside.
- Pat haloumi dry with paper towels, then cook for 1–2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Arrange salad leaves on a large serving platter. Arrange grilled peaches, bacon and haloumi slices on top. Drain red onion, reserving the vinegar, and scatter on top.
- Mix reserved red wine vinegar with remaining dressing ingredients and dress salad just before serving
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Total Fat25.5 g
Sat. Fat11.2 g