Starting my day with a healthy, delicious omelette is such a treat! Especially when it’s covered in goat’s cheese and a fresh Spring pesto like this one.
A good oven proof pan is ideal for this omelette recipe. If your pans aren’t oven proof, pop a lid on the pan to cook the top. If you don’t want to make the pesto yourself, a store-bought pesto will work just fine, or your favourite relish. Eggs always cook better when the heat is at a gentle medium rather than high – this goes for poaching, frying and scrambling!
If you don’t like goats cheese, feta makes a good substitution.
- olive oil 1 teaspoon
- free-range eggs 4
- salt ¼ teaspoon
- Parmesan 2 tablespoons, finely grated
- goat’s cheese 50 grams
- rocket leaves 1-2 handfuls
- spring pesto (see recipe below) 2 tablespoons
- raw almonds ½ cup
- sunflower seeds ¼ cup
- mint leaves 1 cup
- rocket leaves 1 cup
- garlic 1 clove, roughly chopped
- lime zest of 1, juice of 2-3
- flaky sea salt heaped ¼ teaspoon
- olive oil ½ cup
- Preheat oven grill to high with oven rack positioned near the top.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized ovenproof skillet or frying pan over a medium heat.
- Lightly whisk eggs, salt and a good grind of pepper in a bowl. Pour into pan. Use a fork (or the tip of a wooden spatula if you have a non-stick pan) to drag runny egg towards the middle of the pan as it sets. When bottom of omelette has set but the top is still runny, sprinkle over the Parmesan and chunks of goat’s cheese.
- Place skillet under grill for about 1 minute or until omelette has set and is beginning to turn lightly golden.
- Sprinkle with rocket leaves and dollop spring pesto on top. Serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place raw almonds and sunflower seeds on a tray in a single layer. Bake for about 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Allow to cool completely.
- To a food processor add almonds and sunflower seeds, mint and rocket leaves, garlic, roughly chopped, lime zest, lime juice, flaky sea salt and olive oil. Blend until pesto reaches your desired consistency. Loosen with a little more olive oil or lime juice if required.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge; it will keep for up to a week.