Feijoa and nut mini loaves
These tasty little mini loaves are the perfect Autumn afternoon treat alongside a hot mug of tea.
The lightly spiced feijoa flavour in these mini loaves is delicious, especially with a good amount of nuts for crunch. Drizzle the lemon icing over top and decorate with sliced crystal ginger and extra chopped nuts to make them look irresistible. I love adding bran flakes to baking for extra fibre and nutrition. You can find them in the baking section of the supermarket.
Use a muffin tin for this recipe if you don’t have a mini loaf tin.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love my Feijoa, White Chocolate and Ginger Muffins!
- plain flour 2 cups
- brown sugar 1 cup
- mixed spice 1 teaspoon
- ground ginger 1 teaspoon
- bran flakes 1 cup
- chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans etc) ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon extra for decoration
- milk 1 cup
- baking soda 1½ teaspoons
- rice bran oil ½ cup
- egg 1
- feijoas 6, peeled and diced
- egg white 1 small
- icing sugar 1 cup
- lemon juice 1-2 tablespoons
- crystal ginger 3-4 cubes, sliced
Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease 12 mini loaf tins.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, spices, bran flakes and nuts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, baking soda, oil and egg.
- Fold the milk mixture and feijoas into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Spoon into the loaf tins (until about three-quarters full) and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden.
- To make the icing, whisk the egg white until foamy and opaque, then whisk in the icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a drizzling consistency. When the loaves have cooled, drizzle with lemon icing and decorate with ginger slices and chopped nuts.
Recipe by: Jo Wilcox.
Photography by: Todd Eyre.