This comforting, nourishing coconut rice pudding is a delicious treat, be it for breakfast or dessert!
You need cooked rice for this recipe, so leftovers work perfectly – make extra at night and have rice pudding for breakfast the next day! The best leftover rice to use for rice pudding is short grain or Jasmine rice as it has more starch in it than long grain or Basmati rice, which helps to make it creamier. The addition of coconut milk to this recipe gives it a luscious rich flavour. Serve with fresh, stewed or canned fruit on top.
- cooked rice 2 cup
- coconut milk 1 cup
- milk (cow's, almond or soy) ½ - ¾ cup
- vanilla essense 1 teaspoon
- sugar, honey or maple syrup 1 ½ tablespoons
- fruit of your choice (fresh, stewed or canned)
- a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Mix together rice, coconut milk and milk with vanilla essence in a small saucepan and simmer on the stove stirring frequently (to avoid it burning on the bottom), for about 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy. Stir through sweetener of choice.
- To serve, spoon into bowls, top with fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon.