If you haven’t tried corn bread, I highly recommend giving it a go!
You can use it almost like a savoury scone as I have in this recipe by serving it with cheese and chutney. Corn bread is popular in the Southern states of the USA, so serve it with BBQ food like slow cooked beef brisket or jerk chicken and slaw, or dip it into a rich chilli packed full of spicy beans.
You can also serve it as a side dish to dip into soup, this Cheat’s shrimp gumbo with pesto would be perfect.
Use corn bread instead of toast and serve with this extra tasty creamy sweetcorn and jalapeno dip when entertaining guests – it’s perfect with a few drinks while watching rugby!
- plain flour 2 cups
- fine cornmeal 1 cup (or use instant polenta)
- baking powder 3 teaspoons
- salt ½ teaspoon
- caster sugar 1 tablespoon
- fresh rosemary 2-2 tablespoons, chopped
- raw sweetcorn kernels 1½ cups
- cheese 1 cup, grated
- milk 1½ cups
- eggs 2
- butter 130 grams, melted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line the base of a 22cm-square baking tin or similar with baking paper.
- Combine sifted flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl then stir in rosemary, corn and cheese.
- Toss together to coat the corn in the flour mixture.
- Whisk milk and eggs and fold into flour mixture along with melted butter to make a soft, muffin-like mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden and a skewer can be removed cleanly from the centre.
- Serve warm with soft white cheese and a nice chutney.