Mmmmmmm nachos… one of my favourite ‘treat’ meals!
Homemade nachos instantly make me feel like a kid again. This Bargain Box recipe was a big hit with adults and kids when it featured recently.
The best thing about this dish is the amount of veggies in the mince, bulking it out and also adding extra nutrition. Chilli beans would also work great in this recipe instead of red kidney beans if you want to make it a little more spicy. If avocados are in season, you could add guacamole to serve – yum. Get my recipe here. A sprinkling of coriander wouldn’t go amiss either.
- beef mince 600g
- brown onion 1, finely diced
- nacho spice mix* (see in method) 2 tablespoons
- chilli flakes or chilli powder pinch (optional)
- red kidney beans 1 can, drained, rinsed
- tomato paste 3 tablespoons
- chopped tomatoes 1 can
- frozen corn 1 cup, defrosted
- carrot 1, grated
- beef stock 1 cup (gluten-free if required)
- Parmesan cheese 35g, grated
- sour cream ½ cup
- tomato sauce 2 tablespoons
- iceberg lettuce ½, finely sliced
- carrot 1, grated
- corn chips 300g bag
PREHEAT oven grill to high. Set aside a large casserole/baking dish (if you do not have an oven-proof fry-pan).
- Heat a little oil in a large fry-pan (preferably oven-proof) on high heat. Cook beef mince and onion, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon as it cooks, for 7–8 minutes, until browned. Add nacho spice mix and chilli flakes/powder (if using) and cook a further 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir through beans, tomato paste, tomatoes, corn, carrot and beef stock. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 9–12 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare the rest of the meal. In a small bowl, mix sour cream and tomato sauce together and set aside. Place lettuce and carrot in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese over mince and place whole pan under grill for about 6 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden. If you don’t have an oven-proof fry-pan, transfer mixture to an oven-proof dish before adding cheese.
TO SERVE place beef nacho sauce, corn chips, tomato sour cream, lettuce and carrot in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves.
- To make nacho spice mix, combine ½ teaspoon each of smoked paprika, dried oregano, onion powder and ¼ teaspoon ground cumin and ground coriander.