Pink pickled onions
These pretty pink pickled onions are so handy to have on hand. They go great with cheese and crackers, on meat or in salads.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 4 red onions peeled and sliced into thin rings
- Pour the vinegar into a medium saucepan and add the water. Add the sugar and stir in seeds, and simmer until sugar dissolves.
- Place the onion in a large bowl. Pour warm pickling liquid over onions and let stand overnight to allow the colour to come out.
- Transfer onions and liquid to jars, cover with lids and refrigerate. Onions will keep for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve as a bright, colourful garnish on cheese and crackers.
These pink pickled onions will keep for up to three weeks in the fridge. This recipe comes from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine.