Pesto pasta with mushrooms and bacon
Pesto pasta is one of those things that I crave, especially with crispy bacon and mushrooms, delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion finely diced
- 200 g button mushrooms sliced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon diced
- 300 ml cream
- 300-400 g fresh or dried pasta I used penne
- 3-4 tablespoons pesto
- fresh basil to serve
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic, onion, mushrooms and bacon for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until bacon is cooked and mushrooms are tender.
- Add cream and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and stir the pesto through the pasta.
- Gently stir the mushroom and bacon cream through the pesto pasta.
- Garnish with cracked pepper and fresh basil leaves and serve.
This pasta is brilliant for kids. Older kids could even have a go making it themselves. It also freezes very well, making it perfect to have ready to go for a rainy day. I also think it would be a great meal to make someone who needed a bit of comfort food in their lives – creamy pesto pasta always make me feel better. Make your own pesto for this recipe, or use a good quality bought one. This recipe is from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.