My Everyday Green Smoothie
Get your greens in before you even leave the house in the morning, with this everyday green smoothie!
- 1 big handful kale spinach or baby spinach leaves 1 big handful, chopped (if using kale discard the tough stalks)
- 2 oranges skin cut off (remove seeds)
- 1 lemon skin cut off (remove seeds)
- fresh tumeric 2-3cm knob peeled, chopped (optional)
- fresh ginger 2-3cm knob peeled, chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- 4-5 ice cubes
- mint leaves small handful optional
- Chuck everything in the blender, put the lid on tightly (as it will splash!) and blitz until smooth. Depending on how powerful your blender is you might need to blitz it for more/less time until there are no stringy green bits left.
- Pour into glasses, drink and feel good!
I make this green smoothie for my husband and I everyday – it’s such a delicious way to get an antioxidant hit and start the day. It features two super ingredients, tumeric and ginger. Drink one of these everyday and your chances of warding off a cold or flu come Winter will be much higher! Turmeric is an amazing anti-inflammatory – use fresh if you can get hold of it, otherwise you can use a good pinch of dried ground turmeric, or just leave it out. It looks like ginger but bright orange, and tastes like a mix between carrot, ginger and orange. Ginger has long been used for treating gastro effects, settling tummies etc, and is also thought to have anti-inflammatory properties. Like the turmeric, fresh ginger is much more effective. I also love to add 1/2 – 1 avocado to make the smoothie thick and creamy (and it’s a great way to boost your healthy fat intake – you won’t taste the avocado, but you get the creaminess and all the health benefits!). And 1/2 – 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple is a delicious addition for a sweeter smoothie, or if you’re a first time green smoothie drinker.