Easy homemade almond cones
Homemade ice-cream cones are a great special treat that taste amazing!
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 size 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour
- 60 g melted butter
- 4 tablespoons crushed slivered almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 165°C and line two trays with baking paper.
- Whisk together all ingredients, except almonds, until smooth. Rest batter for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp mixture onto a tray and form into a 10-12cm disc using the back of a spoon. Repeat, making two discs per tray, leaving room for spreading.
- Sprinkle with crushed almonds, if using, and bake for 5-8 minutes until golden. Repeat until mixture used up. (Bake trays 5 minutes apart, so you won’t have four cooked discs to roll all at once.)
- Take out of oven and quickly pinch one side of each disc into a point and roll into cone, then place in top of bottle or glass to hold its shape while cooling. (Or wrap discs around cardboard cones).
- If cooked discs feel too brittle to roll, return to oven for 30 seconds.
These cones aren’t as difficult as you might think, once you’ve got the rolling part down you’ll be away. I love using almond essence to give a subtle nutty flavour, and crushed slivered almonds for a bit of crunch. Vanilla essence tastes amazing too, if you’re that way inclined. These will store well in an airtight container, just be delicate with them so they don’t break! Here’s some of my favourite homemade (healthy!) ice-creams to serve these with: Banana honey ‘ice cream’ Vanilla ice cream date caramel sundae (this recipe is a must-try!) Mango avocado vanilla gelato Three-ingredient boysenberries and cream ice cream