Crispy skin salmon with caramelised yams and broccolini caper salsa
This is a quick and easy winter fish dish, celebrating delicious, in-season yams.
Caramelised yams and rocket
- 400 g yams diced 1.5cm
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 bag rocket
Broccolini and caper salsa
- ½ bunch broccolini
- 30 g capers
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- lemon zest of ½ + 1 tablespoon juice
Crispy skin salmon
- salmon fillet 300g
- Preheat oven to 220degC. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Bring a full kettle to the boil.
- Toss yams and honey on prepared tray with a drizzle of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 16 minutes. Remove tray from oven, toss through almonds and roast for a further 7 minutes or until tender and just starting to caramelise.
- Finley chop broccolini and add to a medium heat-proof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and return to bowl. Finely chop capers and add to bowl with remaining broccolini caper salsa ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Pat salmon dry and remove any pin bones. Season with salt. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frypan on medium-high heat. Cook salmon, skin-side-down, for about 3 minutes, until skin is crispy. Flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove yams from oven and scatter over rocket, allowing to wilt slightly.
- To serve, divide yams and rocket between plates. Top with salmon and serve the broccolini caper salsa on the side.
This recipe is gluten and dairy-free, and is packed with a range of vegetables and healthy fats from the salmon and nuts. Pretty much the perfect meal in my opinion! Yams are a common root vegetable in New Zealand, however, they are not so well known elsewhere. They are originally from the South American Andes where they are known as Oca. Use a non-stick fry-pan for the crispiest salmon skin..mmmm. This recipe was a big hit in the My Gourmet Bag recently, our foodies loved its freshness and the sweetly roasted yam!